Wednesday, August 23, 2017

ARC REVIEW Dark Horse Comics Aliens: Defiance

Aliens: Defiance

Dark Horse Comics




By: Brian Wood
Art by: Tristan Jones (Illustrations), Massimo Carnevale (Illustrations), Riccardo Burchielli (Illustrations), Dan Jackson (Colorist), Tony Brescini (Illustrator), Nate Piekos (Letterer)




Story: Colonial Marine Zula Hendricks was sent on a mission with a bunch of Wayland-Yultani synthetics. She was just supposed to type in a key to the computer giving over the rights from the abandoned ship over to WY as salvage. What happens next Zula doesn’t remember she was knocked unconscious and when she woke up she was still on board with a handful of the synths remaining. One of the synths in particular is helping her with the designation Davis 01.
Davis tells her what happened something was brought on board and it killed the whole crew and when they boarded the strange aliens started to kill the synths. Davis managed to shoot them all out the airlock along with most of the other synths. Davis further tells her that WY has plans to bring back a specimen so they can weaponize it. Zula understanding what she is hearing also picks up on the fact that Davis has gone against his programming. Davis admits it and again surprised her by saying he has evolved into something better he has taught himself new things and to let WY get its hands on something as dangerous as these creatures would be horrible. After barely surviving the first time Zula agrees with Davis and together they begin to thwart WY at every turn. 

The Aliens are not the only thing Zula is battling right now she has massive spinal damage due to a previous and only mission. Zula is dealing emotionally, psychologically, and physically with the damage and pain she’s going through. Davis and Zula become friends they even pick up a sole survivor at a filling station and continue to do what they think is right but Davis has secrets of his own.






















Art: The art was my favorite thing about this but it’s not surprising when you have fantastic artist like Tristan Jones and Massimo Carnevale. The illustrations were just so beautifully detailed and dark, it’s dark and gloomy in that typical Alien style but not so dark you lose the fine details. Massimo’s work on the covers and the chapter breaks is stunning, there is one that I would love to have a print of to hang on my wall.




Overall: I love the Alien franchise, I have loved it since my sister first showed me Alien as a kid in the late 80’s. (Yeah, my mom wouldn’t let me watch horror movies like Halloween or Friday the 13th but she was ok with Alien) I haven’t read as many Alien comics as I would like, aside from Sandman they were one of the first ones I did read when I first got into comics. I think Zula is a perfect fit with the typical type heroine we normally see in these roles. I think I like her even more because she is so broken. I loved the tie in with Alien: Isolation and Amanda Ripley. The story is great it’s so much more than just fighting aliens, there’s great character development and the relationship between Davis and Zula, I like where it’s going. This was a great one I really look forward to the rest of the series.  

No comments:

Post a Comment