Thursday, January 4, 2018

ARC REVIEW The Duke Knows Best by Jane Ashford


Book Five, not including The Bargain because it technically isn't part of the series but it is the same family, of The Duke's Sons series comes to a close; I think... I mean this is the last son of the Duke's to get married. I love Jane Ashford's writing this series has been a joy to read, some I liked better than others and out of all I think this one ties with What the Duke Doesn't Know as my least favorites of the series. I liked the idea of the story but I just really didn't like Lord Randolph. Verity was fine then she would say stupid things and it would make me want to facepalm. I think the best character out of the series is the Duke himself and the Duchess, they know their kids so well that they can predict what and how they are going to act. As little as they are in the overall series they hold that family together like nothing else.  
Lord Randolph is a vicar and before he needs to be at his next parish he decides he needs a wife, then he meets Verity. Verity was raised basically isolated from society, having both parents prefer the country life Verity was determined that she would never get stuck living in a boring country parish. Upon meeting Randolph Verity, who has no filter, makes asinine remarks about vicars and country living. Randolph and Verity do share a passion for music and soon they are asked to perform together. The time they spend rehearsing they get to know each other better and Verity realizes how wrong and harsh the words she spoke were. They fight their feelings toward each other mainly because they know they are not what each other want, Randolph loves being a vicar and Verity wants adventure.

Overall, I really couldn't feel all that connected to either Randolph or Verity, and even though everything was tied up with a little bow, for one exception Olivia, wtf. I like Jane Ashford's writing and this was a good read I just didn't feel the connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment