Monday, May 28, 2018

ARC REVIEW Hot Asset by Lauren Layne


Hot Asset (21 Wall Street, #1)21 Wall Street #1, A new series for Lauren Layne with the focus of the people at Wolfe Investments. First up is Ian Bradley. It's Ian's fault that I didn't like this book as much as I hoped I would have. He is unabashedly a manwhore, he takes pride in the fact that he's never slept with the same woman twice. I just don't think that's an attractive male trait. He happily admits that he's a "douchebag" and a "Wall Street dickhead". After that I kept picturing him as a not quite psychotic version of Patrick Bateman (American Psycho) or even Jordan Belfort (Wolves of Wall Street) minus the drugs. At least Lincoln from the Stiletto series wasn't as manwhoreish as he wanted everyone to believe. He does have some redeeming qualities, but I just can't quite comprehend why he wants people to think he's a stereotypical "Wall Street dickhead". My other issue was the whole finance thing, I was hoping that like with Sports Romance I could find that romance takes out all the boring parts of sports at least enough to enjoy the story, nope I still find finance boring. The first part of the book is very dry and with Lara being SEC with hopes of getting into the white collar crime division of the FBI LL gets into finance to explain and even in layman's terms I still felt my eyes glazing over but as soon as she started to focus more on the romance bit it picked up and she stopped trying to explain things and got down to the who and the why of things the whole thing became interesting and I enjoyed it. 

Lara I liked, she is headstrong and determined to get what she wants and what she wants is to be FBI he ticket in is through the SEC, even though both her parents are FBI she wants to get in on her own merit. Her boss promised a letter of recommendation if she can find the needed proof that Ian Bradley was inside trading, he's got a witness that says he did they just need her to make the informal inquiry a formal one and they have a slam dunk case against him and she gets her way into Quantico. The only problem is Ian's not guilty.  

Overall, even with the slow beginning and me not really liking Ian, I did enjoy the book as a whole. I mainly liked the secondary characters, their loyalties and how they all fit together and the hint to their future HEA. I am really look forward to those. Lauren Layne as always has witty banter and is posh and sophisticated with smokin' hot romance.
           


No comments:

Post a Comment