Tuesday, January 2, 2018

ARC REVIEW Cowboy Stole My Heart by Soraya Lane


New author for the New Year and it left me underwhelmed. What I liked about the book I liked that for a change the main characters weren't typical Texas type characters, I liked that Sam was a "horse whisperer" instead of just another rodeo cowboy or ranch hand and that Mia was professional show jumper and despite being the King ranch heiress she worked hard for everything she has. I enjoyed the over all story and how sexy it was, but, and this is just personal preference, I didn't care for  the writing style how some of it was written, the way it was worded, just didn't do it for me and really editors catch those words that are different inside the states, in the states it's flashlight not torch and it's spelled yogurt not yoghurt (I know it's that way in England, NZ, and Australia and many other other places but it's really annoying that a TEXAS cowboy uses torch I really don't think Sam is that much of an anglophile to use that word. Nitpicking I know but it bugged me. Unless it was fixed for actual publication than just ignore me). I also think Sam is kind of a dick, especially to his family and the ending was eye roll worthy, it disappointed me that she went with that path. It had such a great beginning it just went downhill from there.
Mia King bought a horse, a stallion that can't be handled. She has a sentimental attachment to Tex and isn't willing to put him down no matter what. So her Father calls in the famous horse whisperer Sam Mendes. Sam just got done with a tour and was looking forward to time off with his dog, his sister and her twin girls, his best friend and finally some time on his own ranch, but one call from the tycoon Walter King about a stallion has him intrigued and since it's not far from his own ranch he decides to take a look. Once he sees Tex he knows he has to work with this horse, even if he did start off on the wrong foot with his owner Mia.

Sam made assumptions about Mia and it caused her to instantly dislike him, but she set him straight and after seeing her ride and actually getting to know her he realized just how wrong he was about her. Once they get that sorted it doesn't take them long before they kiss and wind up in bed with each other. Sam needs to keep his heart separate from Mia and their relationship a past hurt keeps him from realizing just how perfect it is. Even though Mia agreed to keep their feeling separate she couldn't help falling in love with him.

Overall, I loved the issue with Tex and how that played out and I loved the beginning but Sam wasn't very desirable, he kind of ruined the book for me. I know it seems like this is a bad review but it wasn't horrible, there are just certain aspects of it that bugged me, but you decide if you want to read it, you may end up liking it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment