Wednesday, January 10, 2018

ARC REVIEW Heart of the Wolf by Terry Spear

Heart of the Wolf is the first book of the series of the same name. It was published ten years ago and to celebrate the awesomeness of the series the publishers re-released this one. When I found I could review this book I jumped at the chance to read it, having read and enjoyed the more current  subsequent spin-off series, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I loved everything about his book except for two things Bella's lack of belief that Devlyn can defeat Volan and Devlyn, I just didn't like him. One thing that shocked me because it not this way in her more current books but there was so much sex. I want to complain about it because it was borderline gratuitous but it was so damn hot at the same time. And I think all the sex threw off the pace of the book not a complaint just an observation.  
  Bella Wilder, a red wolf shifter, was rescued by Devlyn when she was a small pup when a house fire killed her family (in the 1800). Bella has always loved Devlyn but the alpha of the pack has been obsessed with her and wanted her for a mate, Bella was determined never to let that happen to the point she ran away from her adoptive family to live as a lone wolf. One hundred and fifty years later Bella is living a quiet life when she is out on a run one day she is shocked to discover the scent of another red wolf in the area. She is so distracted she gets caught by humans in her wolf form and sent to the zoo. Making headline news gives her the attention she has been trying to hide from. Volan certainly knows where she is by now and as Volan's loyal lap dog Devlyn is sure to show up soon enough to take her back to the pack. But now there is also the local red wolf pack whose leader, also called dibs on Bella, out there ready to force her into the mating. By the time Devlyn shows up Bella is ready to run for it again, but Devlyn has had enough and is ready to claim her right then and there and face Volan. Top it all off with the fact that one of the red wolf pack members is going around killing natural redheads and Bella won't leave until they figure out who it is and stop them.  

Overall, it was a good story, I think it could have been better but I enjoyed it. What I really liked was the bonus novella Night Wolf at the back, that was a great story!  

No comments:

Post a Comment